Common Sense Friendship
Whether or not this post will ever get shared, I don’t know. But I need to get this off my chest.
What has happened to real, genuine friendships? What has happened to common sense in friendships? It seems that the older I get, the less care people take in friendships.
So for those of you wondering what it takes to keep friendships strong, honest, and growing, here are some tips:
- Reach out if you know something is going on and ask how your friend really is doing
- When you say you’re praying for them, mean it and actually pray for them
- Make time for them, despite your busy schedule, and allow them to share why their heart is heavy
- Send a text, note, or email if life is too busy to sit for coffee. Let them know you still care, even if you can’t make time right then and there for them.
- Ignore them when you know their life is in upheaval
- Lie to them to make them feel better
- Forget about them in their time of need
- Ask them for a favor when you haven’t spoken to them in months
As glad as I am for the life I’ve been given, I had a recent season where I became very disappointed with people in my life who called me a “friend”. Those words define relationships that are there for you when you go through hellish times. Those are not the words that define a relationship when the only actions done are the ones in the “don’t” list.
Words truly can’t describe the amount of loneliness and abandonment I felt during that season. Tough times really do show you who is a true friend. Unfortunately, that season of my life showed me that I have very few people who fall into that category. However, the ones that were still with me when I finished walking through that season, hold an even dearer place in my heart.
I’m thankful I have a terrific family and an amazing Lord Who never leaves me. It’s a shame though when people you expected to be there, suddenly do a disappearing act.
Value your friendships. Be there for those you call friends and when the time comes that you need them, hopefully they’ll be there for you too.